Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Religion....

Rightio.. a tough subject that is always a cause of concern when you read topics about it. Arguments peruse and it turns nasty.

I've never considered myself religious in the slightest sense. I was Christened as a Protestant and went to a CoE School when I was young yet I never followed it.  I've thought about it often thought, especially with a lot of my American friends, they are very vocal (in a nice way) about their religious beliefs, more so than anyone I've met in the United Kingdom. Religion over here is rather secretive and not really talked about to much in day to day discussions.

So I wonder, what would I be like if I was a religious person.. I do not know. Now just so you know, I am not "Anti Religion" I do not feel I am better than anyone else because they believe and I do not, and I do even enjoy talking about it :) I am a scientist, simple, I believe in the big bang, the way the world works, dinosaurs and the theory of evolution.

Now it does not mean I dismiss all religion. I mean the values that EVERY religion teaches is fantastic, the good Samaritian is one but a few, the general values of religion are generally very good. I trike to bestill some of the Christian values into my life, just without the religiousness of it.

Do I was I was religious, sometimes I wish I could believe in more than what our life is about, I mean I would love to think there is more to life in this, but my logical cannot let me. I can only believe in what I know to be true, which is science with scientific evidence. I don't always wish this to be true, but it is.

So yes.. this might as come as quite a shock to you. Whilst I am not religious myself, I Envy those who are.

Maybe when I pass I'll be proven wrong, and maybe I'll be forgiven, who knows.

1 comment:

  1. Honey I live in the bible belt. Our spirituality ( I just don't like being called religious... IDK why but it seems too stiff dor me) is to be celebrated, usually with a potluck dinner- on- the- grounds that involves massive amounts of food and lots of singing and praising God. I can't imagine why, if someone truly felt the presence of God in their life, why would they be wuiet about it? My heart and soul sings about it, literally! When I think about my creator, my heavenly father,, the sacrifice made for me, it feels alot like being in love to me. Its almost an ache, in a good way, to just see Him. When I'm upset that's what I pray for, just to feel Him near me, and I've always always always been like that. My earliest memory of a spiritual experience was when my parents were fighting, again, and it was getting physical, again. I was so scared. I prayed for God to just hug me, hold me tight and hide me away, protect me. I felt a warmth wash over me and it felt like strong arms were wrapping around me, hugging me tight. I was immediately comforted and calmed. That's how I remember falling asleep. Being held like a good daddy would hold there upset child, rocking them and soothing them until they fell asleep. It's so much more than a belief for me. It's my entire life. I look out over the woods and see the birds and flowers and the sky and I feel the wind and even though I know all the science behind it, I just can't bring myself to believe that all this just happened. It's such a beautiful and intricate design. And I know in my heart that it was created for us to take care of. We haven't done a very good job of that but I'm trying to teach my children to be good stewards of this gift we were given. Anyway, I'm glad that you don't mind talking about it, and I don't mind telling you that I pray for you. I hope that one day the scientist in you can believe that there is a God, and He is a master designer, He created us and everything around us with nothing but love in His heart, and when He saw that we had forgotten that part, He sent His son to pay the price for our wrongs. Which He did, willingly. So yeah, it's so much more than a belief. It's truth, to me anyway. It's the difference between saying " I believe it's going to rain today" and looking outside at the raindrops and saying "it's raining" Maybe that doesn't make much sense. To me, it's rock solid, immovable, infallable truth. And my heart hurts for those who don't have that. I've been told that I use it for a crutch because I'm too weak to get through life on my own... their right on one point. I am weak, and I don't want to go a single minute without God leading me. And a crutch? Ha! There are times when He's so much more than that, He carries me. He gets me through this life and the least I can do is sing His praises. Anyway, I love you, and I hope you can find your truth someday. ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete